Seen from afar,
Kastelbell Castle is one of the most splendid fortresses in South
Tyrol. First mentioned in the ancient records in 1238, the majestic
castle sits atop a giant boulder overlooking the Etsch river. Owned
by the Lords of Montalban, the medieval fortress was eventually ceded
to the Hendl Nobility from Coldrano/Goldrain in 1531. Both these
titled families have since died out.
Castelbello/Kastelbell had become a Tyrolean fiefdom, and in 1300 it
was the seat of the court and office, presided over by a sovereign
judge and bailiff.