The small Romanesque church of St. Jakob lies on an obscure alluvial fan between Glorenza/Glurns and Prato/Prad in the Vinschgau Valley. Hidden at the edge of the forest, not far from the Söleshof farmstead, the chapel isn’t so easy to find. It once fell on one of the old pilgrimage routes, on the way to the Wormser Joch mountain ridge in the direction of Bormio.
The farnstead was first mentioned in a document in 1178, kept in the Marienberg Abbey archives. Since that time, St. Jakob was caught up in a series of tumultuous events. In 1499, the church was set on fire by the Bündners during the Battle of Calven, and was later shut down in 1766 by Joseph II during the Enlightenment. Shortly after, in 1799, the church was burned down once again.